Saturday, October 22, 2011

Coment on ISteve -America is Distinctly English speaking majority white, not distinctly nation of immigrants

America is fundamentally an Anglo-Saxon, majority European project, it seems to me, and that's not a bad thing.

Consider the others in that class:

United Kingdom, USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand. Am I missing any of note? The USA has more in common with that category than other immigrant-defined nations like Brazil or, well, Brazil, it seems to me.

The dull truth is we're another English-speaking, mostly white nation, and they're all doing pretty good. In some respects almost as well as Scandinavian nations, in fact.

Hopefully Anonymous
http://hopefullyanonymous.blogspot.com

1 comment:

  1. Basically agreed. If we'd been a colony of some other power I think we'd have turned out significantly different. Though I can't be sure.

    ReplyDelete